[Hudlug] Network printing

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 18 18:14:03 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 17:27, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Chris - do you remember posting this:

Yup!!

>  to print via CUPS to a printer on the Windows machine!
> Now up to now this has worked perfectly. The Windows machine was running
> Win98.  But I've upgraded to win2000 and now the bugger just does not work!
> Now I think I know why.  Win200 wants a username and password. However I just
> cannot work out the correct way to supply the password.  Using "smbclient -L
> fluffy"  will browse all the shared stuff on that machine, that is after it
> asks for a password.  So it knows my username (obviosuly cos I;m logged on as
> that!).
>
> Did you get it sorted?  What was the solution?

Well quite easy really!!! :-)

smb://username:password@servername/printername

You also need to uncomment the encrypt passwords option in smb.conf, and
check that your passwords are synchronised between the Linux m/c and the
Windows one.  Also update passwords using smbpasswd!

Cheers
Chris

--
  Chris Lindley