[Hudlug] Samba Client for Windows 2000 network

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 20:00:02 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Tim wrote:

>   //win2ksrvr/dir /home/user/dir smbfs username=user,password=passwd, rw 0 0

And also worth mentioning.
Putting stuff like this into your /etc/fstab line is a bit dangerous
because on most systems the file is (and has to be) world readable.

I have see an example about how to put your samba password into a separate
file which is only root readable, but I can't remember how you do it.

Another way of doing it is to use the smbmount program, which can be run
by any user and prompts for the password.  No need for an entry in
/etc/fstab

Tim