[Hudlug] Star Office 6 developments

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 27 16:23:01 2003

Those who were on irc around 8pm yesterday will know that I have had seri=
ous=20
problems with StarWriter causing spontaneous logouts.  The latest=20
developments are incredible - how do you like this?

I went onto the Sun site and found there was a service patch available, s=
o I=20
selected the Linux patch and downloaded - a .zip file.  Ark unpacked it, =
and=20
I started the install, forgetting that Star insists on root installation,=
 so=20
back and start again.  I got error messages that certain packages could n=
ot=20
be unpacked, apparently due to lack of disk space - unlikely in the extre=
me,=20
and at the end, a whole list of components that were unable to be registe=
red.

This was late, so I packed it in for the night, expecting to have to unin=
stall=20
the whole shebang and start afresh.  This afternoon, however, out of=20
curiosity is fired up StarWriter, expecting it to crash, but it didn't. =20
What's more, the files that had been showing up the problem would load=20
correctly, I could copy and paste all I liked, and the whole thing looks=20
stable!  I haven't tried the other components yet, as I don't use them as=
=20
much. =20

I'm going to go back to the website and see if another download will give=
 me a=20
cleaner install, but this result is amazing.  I can only suppose that the=
=20
relevant bug fix was among the bits in managed to install.

Anne
--=20
Registered Linux User No.293302