[Hudlug] Obtaining Discs

Tom Croft hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 11 16:17:00 2003

Hello.  I'm an art student in Todmorden, a small town on the other
side of Halifax.  I'm also a Debian user, but my brother's
defenestrating, do I thought maybe I'll migrate to something a little
easier (Debian seems to lose the plot when you upgrade it).

What would be the best distro?  Is Mandrake's future still uncertain?
Is Red Hat[tm] good for desktops (it seems to be regarded as a server
OS)?  Is SuSE worth considering (seems to be harder to get CDs)?

Where do I get CDs from?  Last time I used smb-computing.co.uk; their
RedHat is 8.0 (unless he downloaded ISOs and didn't update the site,
I'd have to ask).  I believe the LUG doesn't have a CD-retailing
service (heh) yet; but if anyone knows where I can get RH9, 'twould be
nice.  Knoppix would be icing on the cake.  I can't get to
Huddersfield easily.