[Hudlug] Re: Re: Obtaining Discs

Tom Croft hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 13 16:34:00 2003

Thanks for all the assistance and offers... it's fantastic.  I'll have
to overcome my predjudices and go with Mandrake.

If it's from France and runs emacs, it can't be too bad.

Obviously using Red Hat would mean I can't deride Microsoft + Apple on
the basis of being US Corporations, and SuSE, I remember now,
intermixes non-libre software, which is absolutely no good.

----

Tim Wrote:

> Knoppix is debian :)

Knoppix is "Debian", it's not Debian.

> And debian upgrades like a dream (both over the net, or off newer CD's)

I'm glad I sleep better than you. :-)

I've upgraded Debian twice over a modem connection, and both times
PPPD has behaved *very* wrongly.  Also, on my own box, the mouse
doesn't work except occasionally when it does for a bit, then X
crashes and I have to reboot (the configuration is all correct, I have
a dual-booting older Debian).  KDE's Accessibility Panel (kb-mouse)
works, but stops after random periods of inactivity...  Empirically,
I've seen that Debian, while I love it, doesn't upgrade well (tho'
maybe it's the local magnetic field hehe).