[Hudlug] GPS resources

knowlton at 34n118w.net knowlton at 34n118w.net
Wed Aug 4 11:49:14 BST 2004

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I was just browsing and the Interurban site and found this...
>
> "Right as Rain, a Weather-Dependant Love Sonnet uses current weather
> data from 23 cities to determine outcomes in a short love story".
>
> I'd imagine that Manchester would be easy to cater for. You either have
> "It's raining" or "It's grey"! :)

We pull temperature (F) and relative humidity off the weather site and
break it down by increments of 20, so that for a range of 0 to 100 you
could describe a character's emotional state as going from elation to
despair with five distinct states. The user gets to choose between 25
cities.

Barometric pressure has a much smaller rise and fall, so we use it for
more boolean like situations. Is the character male of female?

When you give the character a gender neutral name like Alex or Chris, then
switch the gender based on the current conditions, that character's sexual
relationship with another character can shift between strait and gay,
depending on current conditions. How does the reader respond to the
narrative with that kind of fluidity?

Then of course with Manchester, I guess the Temp, humidity and bar
wouldn't change all that much. Maybe just a bit seasonally. Cold and wet
or colder and wetter.

It requites the shockwave plugin.
http://thepharmakon.org/RightAsRain/

jeff