[Hudlug] Linux distribution for first time user (was Re: Newbee Axel - Help)

Ben Fowler bpfowler at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 10:44:17 GMT 2004

>Axel,
>
>I don't have much experience of different distros, but the ones I've tried
>recently (Fedora 1 and Suse 9.1) have both got easy to use installers with
>most common hardware auto-detected.
>
>On Mon, 08 Nov, axel foley wrote:
> > Just found out about you guys
> >
> > Im thinking of leaving the darkside (microsoft) but im not sure which
>would
> > be the best Linux to start with
> >
> > Ill be running a fast chipset with an average graphics card and creative
> > labs sound card
> >
> > Previous experience - good with PC hardware etc and software but little
> > programming experience
> > Although very experienced at installing windows
> >
> > Any advice ??

I too would vote for SuSE, which is high quality, comprehensive and easy to
both install and use.

Mandrake is another distribution which many people choose as a first step
because of the excellence of its installer and general friendliness.

Others which would be worth considering (even at this stage) if you have
the enthusiasm for a more technical approach would be Gentoo or a newcomer,
Ubuntu. Even today, people are choosing Slackware and Debian on the
grounds of stability and track record.

Ben