[Hudlug] buying a laptop

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 15:58:37 BST 2005

On 8/30/05, Tim Bray <tim at kooky.org> wrote:

> MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> > If I choose a make of laptop for running Linux, do I need to check to
> > see if the distro I choose will run or if a laptop runs Linux, should it
> > run many distros?
>
> The main areas where compatibility can be a problem are:
>
> 1) The kernel - all of the hardware in your laptop must be supported by
> the kernel
>
> 2) The graphics card of the laptop needs to be supported by XFree86 or
> X.org <http://X.org>. Also, in this instance some cards will only be
> support in 2D
> mode, and some will be supported for OpenGL 3D type graphics.

I am not sure that I agree that checking the kernel is the most important
thing, and would even assert that it is beyond most people.

I would suggest that you check these points:

ACPI/APM
sleep/suspend/hibernate
backlight
CPU scaling
Touchpad
USB
PCMCIA/Bluetooth
Sound
Modem
Ports: Monitor/keyboard/Printer/PDA/S-Video

Not all may apply to you, and there may be one or two (even more
exotic) others that do.

See http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/components.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8462 and perhaps
http://linuxgazette.net/issue61/ward.html