[Hudlug] new laptop

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 13 23:52:26 BST 2005

I now have a new laptop.
Unfortunately I couldn't purchase a IBM thinkpad because I would have had to
order one so I bought a Compaq instead.
Ubuntu seemed to boot from the Live CD so I presume I should be able to get
it working although I only tried to run Openoffice which unfortunately
wouldn't execute after my sister went through what appeared on screen
because it asked for Java to be installed and something about Openoffice
needing Java to run. I presume this error only appeared because it was a
Live CD running only a temporary copy of Linux. For some reason I didn't get
any sound on the laptop when my sister booted up the system although this
may have been because the volume on the Laptop was turned down which was why
we didn't try the sound stuff that the live CD came up with on this menu.
I couldn't try Mozilla because I wasn't connected to the Internet.
I presume sound should work if the volume level is set right on the machine
and that if Lindsay could see stuff on screen like a menu of options to pick
on the live Ubuntu CD like when it booted from the CD it came up with
options like Open Office, Mozilla etc and tried to set up Openoffice, it
should work with other stuff. I tried it with the Live CD because I didn't
really want to make too many changes to my system until I had someone with
me who might know what they are doing as Lindsay isn't a Linux user although
if I can run Linux I will be making the system an entire Linux system so at
the moment it does just have Windows on it until I can get it to work with
applications and speech from the soundcard.
My sister isn't likely to understand the sudo apt-get install stuff, I
wouldn't have been able to connect anyway and with it being a Live CD, I
might not even have been able to download Gnopernicus if it had been
connected to the Internet and Lindsay wouldn't have known how to get to a
command prompt to do it which is why I have left it as is and I thought if I
ran the live CD I burned, what happened when booting Live might give me an
idea as to whether my laptop would support it.
Maybe one of you lot could look it over for me if there is time and make
Ubuntu or other distro a permanent install.
It was deffinately booting from the live CD unlike my old worn out Toshiba
laptop which wouldn't even do that because I even tried the Oralux on it and
my learning assistant Carlos who was into Linux had tried to install Redhat
on it and I think the Model number which I believe was TSR120 wasn't even
mentioned on the Linuxlaptop site. It was one of those machines where you
had to change between a CDROM drive and a floppy drive which might have
posed a problem.