[Hudlug] new laptop

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:41:38 BST 2005

On 9/13/05, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> ... something about Openoffice needing Java to run.
> I presume this error only appeared because it was a
> Live CD running only a temporary copy of Linux.

Open Office does need Java. I doubt that your platform's running a Live CD
(at this
time) has anything to do with it.

I couldn't try Mozilla because I wasn't connected to the Internet.

If you can start apache, you should be able to get a page from localhost.

> I presume sound should work if the volume level is set right on the
> machine

... you will also need the necessary drivers and configuration settings.

... I tried it with the Live CD because I didn't
> really want to make too many changes to my system ...

Quite right!

> My sister isn't likely to understand the sudo apt-get install stuff,

apt-get is easier than MS Windows, so it ought to be possible. If she
doesn't want to,
and/or you build up enough resistance to the idea then may be she won't. (I
have two sisters
and know of what I speak)!

> ... booting Live might give me an idea as to whether my laptop would
> support it.

This is the right idea.

> Maybe one of you lot could look it over for me if there is time and make
> Ubuntu or other distro a permanent install.

Do you mean at/after a meeting?

> It was definitely booting from the live CD unlike my old worn out Toshiba
> laptop which wouldn't even do that ... and
> my learning assistant Carlos who was into Linux had tried to install
> Redhat
> on it and I think the Model number ... TSR120 wasn't even
> mentioned on the Linuxlaptop site. It was one of those machines where you
> had to change between a CDROM drive and a floppy drive which might have
> posed a problem.

Certainly, if you have no evidence that anyone has before now has had linux
boot
on the Toshiba TSR120 then you will be doing it for the first time, which is
obviously
a potential problem, and conceivably might mean that the effort required
would be
disproportionate.

Its having a removable Floppy and CD ROM might be a problem, but I doubt it.

Ben