[Hudlug] problem installing grub

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 30 20:43:07 GMT 2006

Someone suggested the following as to how I might resolve my grub problem.
My wild guess would be some sort of hardware/firmware/BIOS boot record
protection, or maybe an insidious piece of antivirus software that
bootstraps "unused" areas of the MBR/boot record.

I'd check my advanced BIOS setup screens for the word "virus" or
"protect" first. If that doesn't turn up anything I'd look for a clean,
spare hard drive and try installing to that on your machine without
your other drive(s) hooked up. If all that works as it should I'd start
looking for ways to *completely* remove whatever bit of dross it is
that's resetting your boot sector for you after the grub virus infects
it. ;-)