[Hudlug] a suggestion for Gnopernicus

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 11:26:04 GMT 2006

On 2/25/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I suppose to get the ball rolling as regards accessability to linux one idea
> for Gnopernicus could be a setup for a laptop layout as I have been told
> that Gnopernicus could be difficult as regards use with a laptop because of
> the lack of a Numeric keypad as the keys for Gnopernicus are on various
> layers acording to what I have heard.

I think that the layers either refers to the stacking on the menu buttons
on the screen widget, or possibly how deeply the API is embedded into the
desktop or application. I don't think that it refers to the position of keys
on the keyboard, or the use of one particular way of striking the '1' key.

> Maybe if there is some kind of setup in the menus there could be a choice
> for Desktop or laptop layout which is something which Windows screenreaders
> have or even a menu where the user could define their own keystrokes.

I am pretty sure that the keyboard layout can be completely customised. I
will check this. Obviously having basic Desktop and Laptop/Portable
configurations would be a good idea, and I will check this as well

> As I am not sure what keys are already used off the top of my head, perhaps
> there could be something like Insert W to read words for example or to
> change to access different settings for various things ie Braille, Speech,
> Magnifier etc you could use Insert B to say get to get up the menus to setup
> or access the commands for Braille or have an Insert number to get to each
> layer which may be the same as or different to the keyboard layout which is
> done in the desktop layout already.

By "Insert" in that paragraph do you mean that the 'Insert' key is to be
a sticky modifier (modifier keys are Shift, Alt, Control ...) which is
operative for one key press. (The usual modifiers apart from Caps Lock
normally only work whilst they are held down - making modifiers sticky is
one Assistive Technology, one that is useful for the limbless, or someone with
poor co-ordination).

> I am only pointing out examples having only heard a demonstration of
> Gnopernicus on ACB radio's "Main menu" programme, ACB Radio is an internet
> station which has a site at www.acbradio.org

I have located that URL, and I will have a listen to it.

Ben