[Hudlug] Any dovecot users?

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Thu May 11 08:50:20 BST 2006

On 11/05/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 08:02, Ben Fowler wrote:
> >
> > I needed an POP server for some testing I am doing, and thought that I
> > would try dovecot, having heard of it through HUDLUG!
> >
> Hi, Ben.  I'm using dovecot as an imap server.  My first attempt had some
> configuration problems, but once I sorted that I've been very happy with it.
> Is there something specific you want to know about it?

I'm not exposing this to the public, it is just on my desktop machine.
IIRC, the instructions for setting up the login user, the
configuration /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf and the
/usr/local/run/dovecot directory (especially permissions) are a bit
spartan, and I may have missed a few things. In particular I couldn't
see how to set up a .pem certificate, so I just turned of SSL.
(That may not be a dovecot thing, see
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/SSL-Certificates-HOWTO.html )

I am using dovecot-1.0.beta7 rather than the development version. It
is doctrine, that POP3 is obsolete for serious use, and many of the
servers out there are are incomplete or frankly buggy. If I do see any
problems dovecot, I will report them and perhaps help with a fix.

Ben