[Hudlug] Any dovecot users?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 11 09:31:31 BST 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 08:50, Ben Fowler wrote:
> On 11/05/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > I needed an POP server for some testing I am doing, and thought that I
> > > would try dovecot, having heard of it through HUDLUG!
> >
> > Hi, Ben.  I'm using dovecot as an imap server.  My first attempt had some
> > configuration problems, but once I sorted that I've been very happy with
> > it. Is there something specific you want to know about it?
>
> I'm not exposing this to the public, it is just on my desktop machine.

Mine is an imap server for the family, so again there is no external exposure.

> IIRC, the instructions for setting up the login user, the
> configuration /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf and the
> /usr/local/run/dovecot directory (especially permissions) are a bit
> spartan, and I may have missed a few things.

I downloaded all the documents I could find from the dovecot site, and found
them pretty good.

> In particular I couldn't
> see how to set up a .pem certificate, so I just turned of SSL.
> (That may not be a dovecot thing, see
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/SSL-Certificates-HOWTO.html )

Can't comment on that.  I didn't see the need for SSL on this server, so I
don't use it.

> I am using dovecot-1.0.beta7 rather than the development version. It
> is doctrine, that POP3 is obsolete for serious use, and many of the
> servers out there are are incomplete or frankly buggy. If I do see any
> problems dovecot, I will report them and perhaps help with a fix.

One of the nice things about dovecot is that it leaves the choice entirely to
you.  It handles pop3 and imap, and is equally flexible about mbox or maildir
storage.  The mailing list, too, is not high volume and very helpful.

Anne