[Hudlug] latest orca and gnome speech

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 2 23:40:28 BST 2006

As we are thinking of clearing my Laptop completely in a few weeks time
to install the latest Ubuntu, maybe that gives me a chance to play
around with the latest version of Orca and Gnome speech by trying to see
if I can uncompress the .tgz files and seeing if I can find out how to
build them.
If it were to work I might be able to get Gnucash speaking assuming I
can build both the latest Orca and I might even be able to even get
Dectalk running with Orca as I was told I would have to re-compile
~Gnome speech to create a Dectalk driver for the software Dectalk.
If I can get both latest Orca and Gnome speech compiled I would also
have the advantage of better quality speech like when Ben tried to run
the test for the Software Dectalk and typing words got spoken, the only
thing we couldn't do was actually link the Dectalk to my running copy of
Orca as the setup didn't recognise that I was running Dectalk.
I suppose the very worse I can do is lose my system which I would be
doing anyway in order to have a fresh system which is more up to date.