[Hudlug] changing to linux

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 1 04:57:20 BST 2006

An application like Gnucash may or may not work at the moment with Orca
but if I am going to switch to Linux only which seems more and more
likely I will need to cover every application area or at least every
application area I might use ie Office or Internet.
What needs to be done is somehow for me to look at application areas and
come up with a Linux alternative to a Windows app for it which is
accessable in Orca or Speakup when Ubuntu includes it or Emacspeak as a
last resort.
For example a lot of my time is spent on the Internet so I need a good
web browser which will work in preferably both shell and graphical
environments as I know text browsers are not as up to date and can be
limited to the pages they will launch.
I can cover something like this with Firefox and maybe links and as a
last resort by a browser that works in Emacs if I have to learn Emacs.
I need something for email and News so I suppose that would be covered
by Evolution or again something else maybe even one from the shell again.
At some point I hope to create my own web page so I need something I can
use that is equivalent in Linux which would cover a Windows application.
The same for FTP.
If I decide to do messenging I need something that will work for that
for example Gaim.
I think that is how I need to look at applications, pick an application
area, break it down into its various sub areas like I have just done
with Internet applications and come up with accessable applications that
are useable with Orca, Speakup and maybe emacspeak. I agree with dad in
this respect as I don't want to go into an application area and find
there isn't a Linux Screenreader accessable alternative to an
application that would work with a screenreader under Windows.