[Hudlug] switching to linux

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 6 00:52:14 BST 2006

With Orca seemingly being upgraded to a newer version every few weeks or
at least Monthly, the latest version is now 1.0 and with the access to
applications such as Gnucash I am getting more convinced about switching
from Windows to Linux at least for home use if whoever I might end up
working for doesn't use Linux themselves or rather will not provide a
Linux system for me to use in a possible job.
I think the one stumbling block I have is Internet access with web browsers.
If Mozilla Firefox isn't accessable and if I have to use a text browser,
are forms more accessable these days as there was a time when text
Browsers couldn't cope with the things and also would a text Browser
give me access to my account details for YBS or would it reject me
loggin in as I would be using a browser other than Internet Explorer or
Firefox?
At the moment I actually use Firefox in Windows as GW Micro have
provided a script for it.
I think the only other real stumbling block for me if you like is an
easy to use backup program, ones from the text line seem rather complex
for a Newby and Simple Backup just stopped speaking when I tried to run
it from the desktop when I entered the configure which was the graphical
way of backing up files, Orca just went silent as if it crashed after I
was asked for my password and it was only when I closed it that I seemed
to have speech again. The Orca keystrokes from the numeric pad didn't
work at all in Sbackup and there was no menu bar when I pressed F10.