Backing up (was Re: [Hudlug] switching to linux)

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:05:02 BST 2006

On 06/09/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I think the only other real stumbling block for me if you like is an
> easy to use backup program, ones from the text line seem rather complex
> for a Newby and Simple Backup just stopped speaking when I tried to run
> it from the desktop when I entered the configure which was the graphical
> way of backing up files, Orca just went silent as if it crashed after I
> was asked for my password and it was only when I closed it that I seemed
> to have speech again. The Orca keystrokes from the numeric pad didn't
> work at all in Sbackup and there was no menu bar when I pressed F10.

Think of the backing up process from the 'restore' point ov view. If
you ever needed to restore, how would you set about it, and how would
you want to.

The easy ways of backing up small amounts of data such as everything
in /home is with rsync or tar. This works very well from the command
line and can be automated.

Ben