[Hudlug] created a web page

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 09:54:40 BST 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 09:19, Ben Fowler wrote:

> Yes. It is in SeaMonkey - the Mozilla Application Suite - under the
> name Composer; as you say it is easily overlooked, but is first rate
> for simple jobs.
>
> Firefox has a successor called NVu, which I use occasionally, but it
> hasn't taken off yet.
>
> I would like to use use Quanta, but I am having difficulty finding
> online guides and tutorials, and from where I stand, it seems that to
> use Quanta effectivley, one needs to be part of charmed circle.

I tried it, but as you say, finding tutorials is very difficult, and I didn't
have enough time or motivation to spare for that.

> Part of the problem is writing the file back to the Web server, and I
> guess that this is what the Geocities uploader does, and is something
> that we need to duplicate (perhaps working hand in glove with an SCM
> such as Subversion.

I simply made sure that all my pages were in one directory and all links were
relational, then used gftp to upload to the web-space allotted by my ISP.

> The MS Word part of the solution - converting rich (formatted) text to
> HTML or XML is fairly easy to do, but a fully integrated, seamless
> solution is much harder.

I found that starting from a rich text file from a word processor needed a lot
of cleaning up.  Creating the text directly into Composer was much cleaner,
though that can be slimmed down too.  I especially liked the validation link.

If I had to do the job again I'd definitely use Composer.

Anne