[Hudlug] created a web page

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 09:19:47 BST 2006

On 18/09/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 18 September 2006 00:30, Ben Fowler wrote:
> > On 15/09/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > I now have a presence on the web.
> >
> > Michael, it is good, it is very good.
> >
> A couple of years back I wanted a simple way to create web pages, and found
> that the tool within the Mozilla suite was very, very good.  In tabs you
> could switch between code view and web view, and there was a link to W3C for
> verifying your code.
>
> You could type directly into the layout page, and then use the code page to
> fine-tune placement, and so on.
>
> I haven't installed SeaMonkey, so I don't know whether the same thing is
> available from there.  If it is, it's definitely worth looking at.

Yes. It is in SeaMonkey - the Mozilla Application Suite - under the
name Composer; as you say it is easily overlooked, but is first rate
for simple jobs.

Firefox has a successor called NVu, which I use occasionally, but it
hasn't taken off yet.

I would like to use use Quanta, but I am having difficulty finding
online guides and tutorials, and from where I stand, it seems that to
use Quanta effectivley, one needs to be part of charmed circle.

Part of the problem is writing the file back to the Web server, and I
guess that this is what the Geocities uploader does, and is something
that we need to duplicate (perhaps working hand in glove with an SCM
such as Subversion.

The MS Word part of the solution - converting rich (formatted) text to
HTML or XML is fairly easy to do, but a fully integrated, seamless
solution is much harder.

Ben.