[Hudlug] Hello guys! Remember me?

Chris Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:58:55 BST 2007

Hello Sarah,

On 22/04/07, Sarah Burgess <sarah at myplace.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Remember me?!

No but hello!

I know it's been an awfully long time since I've been to the
> meetings (personal reasons that I won't discuss in such a public place).
> What's the attendance like nowadays?  Is it still the same old crowd or do
> we have some fresh faces?

Fresh faces like me and then stale and crusty ones like Ben and Paul

I have a couple of reasons for getting in touch.  Firstly, I hope I'll be
> able to start attending meetings again, and maybe even bring along a
> friend
> or two.  But I didn't just want to turn up out of the blue!

Please do. It keeps life exciting and lord knows we're all in need of some.

Secondly, I'm thinking of buying a new laptop and wanted some advice as I've
> no experience of installing linux on modern hardware.  My existing
> machines
> are rather old!  I'd want to dual-boot windows and debian (or a
> debian-derived distro).  Anyone have experience of dual booting with
> Vista,
> or would XP be a better choice?  I'm hopeless at making decisions when it
> requires parting with relatively large amounts of cash, so any pointers
> would really help ;-)

Libby from BHCLUG will tell you to stay away from brand new machines. Reason
being is that the drivers for a lot of the hardware haven't worked their way
into the kernel or distro repositories yet. I have an IBM t42 which is ace.
The only quibble I have with it is the madwifi drivers required to make the
wireless work.

Hope you're all well, and maybe I'll see you sometime soon, eh?

I look forward to meeting you!

Cheers
Chris

--