[Hudlug] better PC specs

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 14:25:41 BST 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, michaelweaver wrote:

> I think I deffinately need better PC specs for what I do.
> I have just been trying to listen to some audio guides someone has
> produced for using Linux with speech and they crash halfway through the
> recording in Internet Explorer, Firefox in Windows and even Firefox in
> Linux.

I doubt you'd have a problem with half a gig of memory - that's loads for
sound - unless you are doing intensive studio type stuff.

Are the guides mp3 files? If so down load them to your local machine
and use a command line player like mpg321 (mpg123 etc) to play them.

6 years I to played/created sound stuff on a P166 with 64M of ram.

> I thought it was a disk space problem until I tried listening to these
> tutorials in Firefox in Linux but now I am wondering if it really is a
> RAM issue and that hearing audio tutorials with two programmes open ie
> Evolution and Firefox is causing this problem where the recording stopps
> halfway through which is really annoying.
> Obviously it is proving how low spec my desktop PC is and that my use is
> outstripping my system requirements.
> It is ironic because dad once said I don't need much system memory or
> disk space as I don't use graphics

But you are - you are running a window manager and graphic applications
like firefox and evolution. You'd be non-graphics if you didn't start X,
and used a text only mailer like mutt or pine, and a text only web
browser like lynx. It perfectly feasible to do and it would all run
on a linux box with as little as 32M RAM and as low a spec as a P166.

Jim