[Hudlug] better PC specs

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Aug 24 15:32:23 BST 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, michaelweaver wrote:
> > I think I deffinately need better PC specs for what I do.
> > I have just been trying to listen to some audio guides someone has
> > produced for using Linux with speech and they crash halfway through the
> > recording in Internet Explorer, Firefox in Windows and even Firefox in
> > Linux.
>
> I doubt you'd have a problem with half a gig of memory - that's loads for
> sound - unless you are doing intensive studio type stuff.

I agree. 512M should be sufficient. Besides which, if something crashes that
is a bug in the appication. Running out of RAM just causes your machine to
start swapping. The audio might stutter or miss a bit, but it shouldn't
crash.

If you don't have any swap on your machine, that may be your problem.
On a machine with half a gig of ram I suggest about the same amount of swap.
It's not uncommon for applications to have allocated a large quantity of
memory and only be actively using a small proportion of that. A lump of swap
gives the kernel a graceful way of handling this.

Paul