[Hudlug] Dual Boot

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:08:54 BST 2007

Hello Derek,

On 22/08/07, Derek Allen <dmallen at uku.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi all,
> I don't know if this will reach you as I have had to set up a temp. email
> in Windows. I recently reinstalled XP to clear out the unwanted dross and it
> has overwritten my dual boot option so I can no longer access my Linux OS.
>
> Boot Magic can see the Linux partitions but will not boot from them. Can
> anyone suggest a method of reinstating the boot options so that I do not
> need to reinstall Linux. (I use Ubuntu 7.04 and I only have 6.10 on CD.)

Windows has over-written Grub with its own boot-loader. You simply need to
re-install Grub. I'm not sure on Ubuntu but for Fedora there is a rescue cd
that has a grub-install function that detects the kernels installed and
re-installs grub. There is probably something the same on the Ubuntu CD,
though I would caution against using a 6.10 on a 7.04 installation as
versions may have changed. Ubuntu users will be more insightful however.

HTH
Chris

--
http://www.chruz.com