[Hudlug] my opinion of gutsy

Michael Weaver weavermicha at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 21 07:23:06 GMT 2007

This is my personal opinion of Gutsy although I am not a programmer so
I can't alter things as regards Gutsy's shortcomings.
I think in my view Gutsy hasn't lived up to the accessibility claims
despite the removal of speakup considering something better seemed to
have been promised when the removal of Speakup from the stock kernel
was first mentioned.
I think Gutsy claims is my reason for trying to work from the bleeding
edge as a lot was talked about long before the final release of Gutsy
itself ie a system which would enable Blind people to run both
software speech and sound without tying the sound card to one or the
other as well as access to the latest Firefox which the latter problem
was resolved in part by Gutsy having Firefox 3 in its Universe
Reposotry.
I think the best improvement I saw despite being a non-programmer is
the notification of updates which wasn't spoken by Orca in previous
versions and the Firefox 3 nicely packaged for someone not so
technically minded with Linux as myself.
I hope that the fact the first released CD of Hardy which doesn't have
Orca doesn't lead to another version of Ubuntu which slightly falls
short of its accessibility features if accessibility is strongly
advertised which seems to have been the mistake with Gutsy.