[Hudlug] some progress with w3m but can't connect

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 23:19:00 GMT 2007

Hi Michael,
>  for example I would have to write w3m www.btinternet.com

Yes, that is the correct command to start off the text browser for that page.
To quit use q and then y to confirm.

> However I think I am still having that problem connecting to the
> Internet via my Broadband MODEM, it seems not to be picking up my
> connection when I connect my Broadband MODEM to the laptop.
> What I get when I launch w3m is something like "opening socket" followed
> by I think "can't load www.btinternet.com" or "unable to load
> www.btinternet.com"

Can you ping the website? btinternet.com are at 194.73.73.113
For me the ping time is around 30 ms

> I am sure I have got the lead for my MODEM in the correct hole.
> I presume that as I can't open a web page in w3m I will be unable to
> update my laptop.

Not necessarily, but it does indicate something is wrong.
Can you ping any IP address?

Regards
John