[Hudlug] getting my copy of dectalk working

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 29 06:01:06 BST 2007

I am hoping to attend next Monday's meeting at Vox Bar even though dad
is away.
I am thinking of having Dectalk setup with the next version of Ubuntu as
although Espeak is a smaller software synth and I may get used to it, I
think Espeak is a worse synth than Festival in a public place as it
sounds echoy and strange.
However it may take a bit more work to install my copy of Dectalk as it
is a comercial software synth. I believe we had it kind of talking only
it wasn't recognised in Orca as Gnome speech wasn't built for it.
It may take a bit more work to get better quality speech as I think the
Dectalk synth needs to be untared and built first and then Gonome speech
needs to be done same for the synth to be recognised under Orca speech
preferences.
I don't know if it is the most up to date version of Gnome speech as I
got it a while ago but I have the tar file that needs to be uncompressed
and built and there is something on the Orca site for installing Ubuntu
as to how to install and run Dectalk with Orca.