[Hudlug] Hello

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 22:28:56 BST 2008

Chris,

> >  3. Idiot proof server install (MS Server 2003 R2 is very good really)
>
> Could you flesh this one out a bit? I have no problems installing on
> Proliants at work.

What I mean is that as a beginner administrator, lots of things in windows
"just work" and have nice shiny gui's to play with while you learn. As this
is a bit important to us, and I'm not the one doing the install (or have to
fix it if it breaks) I have to take what the supplier gives us. This may not
happen next time we need to upgrade the server, but that's what happened last
time. And it's been very stable, as was server2000 and serverNT before it.

Playing with the server is my (very) part time task so it has to be easy to
live with and not demand I remember every command line sequence.

Besides, my favourite mail server (ftgate - http://www.ftgate.com/) is windows
only. We have used this for 10 years now and it is great. 10 years ago linux
was a very different proposition.

At home it's a different story. After the kids got over not being able to nick
windows games from their mates, it's been great. Yet today I had to explain
to someone selling GPS tracking kit that I don't run windows at home, and
require software that will enable me to just use a browser to access their
server - no propriatry stuff will work. He was shocked. And he hasn't made a
sale.