[Hudlug] Hello

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:47:53 BST 2008

2008/4/27 Roger Greenwood <rg at nthong.co.uk>:
> Just joined the HUDLUG list - I think I was subscribed before with a previous
>  email address, but it expired some time ago.
>
>  So hello everyone.

Hello!

>  I am unlikely to get to any meetings, but hope to enjoy the online
>  discussions.
>
>  Using SuSE 9.2 on my machine, and ubuntu 7.10 on the kids. Not used MS
>  software at home since 1997 after an upgrade from win95 which came with a
>  second hand machine.
>
>  Actively looking to use Linux at work, but not competent enough (or brave
>  enough!) yet. Three major issues to solve :-
>
>  1. Workbook sharing with spreadsheets ( a la excel) (openoffice are working on
>  it for version 3)

Try go-oo.org - this has lots of features not yet merged upstream.

>  2. Decent 2D CAD e.g. Autodesk Autocad. (Bricscad is nearly there, linux
>  version 2 releases behind)

Ah yes, keep pestering them for feature-parity. I was told June for
the next Linux release.

>  3. Idiot proof server install (MS Server 2003 R2 is very good really)

Could you flesh this one out a bit? I have no problems installing on
Proliants at work.

>  Any advice/comment on the above gratefully received.

Welcome to the list - nice to see some newcomers and a bit of activity!

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com