[Hudlug] lug meetings

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 1 18:56:20 UTC 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 18:25:47 michael weaver wrote:
> i just downloaded karmic via the ubuntu download link on the
> ubuntu site.
> i think the cd drive spinns, pauses, spins a few seconds later
> before then going into vista.
> i think it could the boot setup which might require sighted
> assistance.

It's possible, although if it attempts to spin up the drive before dropping
into Vista I'm inclined to think that it's checking the cd/dvd first.

> i tried via wubi in windows but the only things it attapted to do
> was to install the cd boot help.
> i don't know if anybody still goes to vox on the first monday.

Sorry, I don't know either.  I haven't been for a long time.  I think you do
need sighted assistance, though.  You need to be able to md5sum (or sha1sum)
the download, and then verify the burn.  If it turns out that there is a
meeting I'd advise taking a space blank disk, so that if there's a doubt a new
burn could be tried.

It does sound to me as though the laptop recognises that there's a disk in the
drive, but is unable to find a bootable partition.

Sorry it's not much help to you

Anne