[Hudlug] updating a version of ubuntu

michael weaver weavermicha at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 8 12:32:10 UTC 2010

i was trying to upgrade from hardy to lucid or at least from
hardy to karmic.
the reason why i am trying to get as far as at least karmic is
because the network icon is accessible in karmic when using a
laptop which it doesn't appear to be in previous versions of
ubuntu.
i tried to do a fresh install of karmic from the live cd only for
some reason orca seems to want to go through the settup and it
seems very fussy when trying to choose the accessibility profile
which you have to enable during the bootup process and you have
to get the timeing right which i have only successfully managed
to do the first few times i ran the live cd.
i tried to install the lucid beta from a cd or should i say a
re-writable dvd only the same problems enabling accessibility and
when running orca manually which again forces you to go through
the setup ie choice of keyboard etc, you get orca saying
something like "press enter to continue and speech just stops and
i cannot force my laptop to restart in the hope that speech will
be enabled and that i might actually land on the desktop to be
able to do an actual install of a lucid system.

<hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk