[Hudlug] Possible Revival of HudLUG Meetings

D.Bolton U0970268 U0970268 at unimail.hud.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 11:35:08 UTC 2013

It was interesting to get along to the new Social Media Cafe meeting last nigh, to see how things had changed from the old Social Media Surgery sessions.

At one point it looked like it was going to turn into a complete pitch-fest for people trying to promote themselves as "social media consultants" - but luckily there were enough people there who swayed the discussions towards wider issues of human interaction and social wellbeing.  I certainly felt that a few people there could have benefitted from a short lesson on the philosophy of the Free Software movement - as well as lessons on privacy, electronic freedom, and the erosion of human rights.  Although there were some there who were probably more aware than most.

Which brings me back to the possibility of reviving HudLUG meetings - and if this proves feasible, then in what format and to what purpose?

Getting together to sit around and slag off Microsoft and Apple (although fun) may not be particularly productive.  So what sort of meetings would you come along to?

Cheers,

David

[”THE]