[IOML] Open Street Map and the Isle of Man

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 11:36:50 BST 2006

Hello,

This is my first post to this list, so hello to everyone.  My name is Nick,
I am originally from the Isle of Man, but I am living in London at the
moment.  I am am involved with the OpenStreetMap organisation - a project
that is trying to create a free, editable map of the world (
www.openstreetmap.org).  All of the map data that we collect is distributed
under a Creative Commons License, meaning that third parties are free to
use, distribute and modify the data as they see fit etc etc.

We have a few members in the Isle of Man (some of whom may be on this list),
who have contributed to mapping quite a bit of the Island (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Isle_of_Man) for
details.  See the link below for the current state of the Island.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=54.23&lon=-4.57&zoom=11

Within the Isle of Man, there is a real chance that we could map all the
roads and footpaths within a few months, which could have some major
implications for the way that map data is distributed and licensed on the
Island.  Hopefully I will be on the Island in late June, I would be very
happy to come and give a presentation or informal talk to the IoM LUG about
Openstreetmap, with the intention of kickstarting some extended interest in
the project on the Island.

Thanks for your time, I hope I can meet you to share with you what I think
is an amazing project.  Feel free to email me personally if you need any
more information about OpenStreetMap, or check out some of these press links
which refer to a recent workshop we held on the Isle of Wight:

   - http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1771598,00.html
   - http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=cm&id=3227

Cheers,

Nick