[IoMLUG] Is this list still alive?

Dylan Smith dyls at alioth.net
Tue Jan 23 10:49:37 UTC 2024

On 22/01/2024 22:07, Liam Proven via IoM wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 at 18:32, Graham Allott via IoM
> <iom at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>> If anyone has any tips for setting up Postfix / Dovecot on Gentoo
> Blimey. That's a combination.

I've not run it on Gentoo (I've never used Gentoo) but I've been running
Postfix and Dovecot on Debian for probably at least the last 15 years. I
don't really have any tips for it, it just worked out the box on Debian.
SpamAssassin is a must if you've got an email address that's been around
for a while (at its peak, around 2010 to 2012, I was blocking over 1,000
spam emails per day to my main email address, today it's not as bad,
only between 30 and 60 spam emails a day - spammers really have reduced
a lot in numbers but there's still enough around you need a decent spam
filter). SpamAssassin is invoked through procmail so its behaviour can
be set on a per-user basis.

Mostly it's about tuning SpamAssassin, certainly the Debian package out
of the box is quite conservative about what it blocks (e.g. it doesn't
put much score on for domains found in URIBLs for instance, making a
local SA config to up the scores of your favourite block lists improves
things).