[IoMLUG] Is this list still alive?

Daniel Ankers md1clv at md1clv.com
Tue Jan 23 09:59:58 UTC 2024

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 at 18:32, Graham Allott via IoM <iom at mailman.lug.org.uk>
wrote:

> If anyone has any tips for setting up Postfix / Dovecot on Gentoo I'd be
> happy to hear them - it was working with one virtual domain but changed the
> main domain and everything's broken.... I ran Qmail servers from over 20
> years ago up to about two years ago - know that well enough but it's just
> too old now....

Not specific setup tips, but general troubleshooting ones (which you
probably know anyway from your Qmail days):

If the problem is incoming mail:
1) Can the rest of the world find where it should be sending mail to? i.e.
is there a DNS MX record for your main domain which points to the name of
your mailserver, and is there an A/AAAA record pointing to the IP of your
mailserver (it's worth checking this with something like Dig in case your
domain name registrar has helpfully added extra records.)

2) Can the rest of the world reach your Postfix server? This is easy to
check by telnetting to it on port 25.

3) Is Postfix delivering to Dovecot?  I don't know where Gentoo configures
Postfix and Dovecot to log to by default, but /var/log/mail.log is pretty
common

There might also be clues in the Postfix mail queue (postqueue -p)

If the problem is outgoing mail, generally the Postfix mail queue and log
are a good place to start looking for what the server is actually doing
with the mails.