[Lancaster] X config query (2nd try)

Srdjan Todorovic srdjantodorovic at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 01:59:01 2002

Hi

 --- Andy Baxter <andy@earthsong.free-online.co.uk

> I've been setting up a machine for use in the
> resource centre under single
> step, and I've been having a problem with the X
> configuration. The trouble
> is, it only does 640x480 at 15 or 16 bpp when I want
> it to do 800x600. I
> don't think it's because of the graphics card's
> memory, because it does
> 1024x768 at 8bpp perfectly happily, and usually if
> it will do that, it can do
> the next lower res mode at full colour.
What graphics card do you have? What version of X
window do you have?

I have an nVidia Riva card with 32Mb ram. I did
cat /proc/pci
and found this

  Bus  1, device   5, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation
Vanta [NV6] (rev 21).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=248.  Min Gnt=5.Max
Lat=1.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000
[0xf4ffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf2000000
[0xf3ffffff].

I found the memory size by taking away 2 hexadecimal
numbers like so: f3ffffff - f2000000 = 1ffffff
1ffffff is 33554431 bytes, which is 32MB (this is the
"prefetchable" memory)

You could check the size of your video memory like
this.

Hope this helps.

Srdjan Todorovic