[Lancaster] Connections ...

Martyn Welch martyn at 22balmoralroad.net
Tue Nov 19 13:41:00 2002

Inline comments!

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 13:28, Richard Robinson wrote:
   On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:20:30AM +0000, Martyn Welch wrote:
   >    1) 50:1 contention ratio - could be slower than a modem, at worst=
=2E
   > What's this like in practice, can anybody comment ?
   >
   > We have ADSL via Demon - nope, not slower than a modem. Even if the
   > speed did drop, it's not paid for by the minute (or holding up your
   > phone line) so it's not such a problem.

   That's true; and it's the permanence, and the freeing up of the voice
   phone, that really attracts me, rather than super speed (though that
   would be nice, too). Just wondering what to realistically expect,
   really.

I'll give an example then - earlier I downloaded the java VM for Mozilla=20
(approx 14.5Mb) I think it took about 15min. Not as fast as the connectio=
n I=20
had in my room at uni (apparently 10Mb/s) but I don't usually see a huge=20
difference (E-mail/Web) maybe I just got used to the slower speed, but it=
s=20
much better than 56K modem.

   >    2) Are there any alternative types of connection I might also wan=
t to
   >  think about ? I'm not aware of any, since the attempt at cabling us
   > went broke, but as I say, I haven't been paying a lot of attention.
   >
   > Someone told me that they had called in the creditors (or something)=
,
   > but were still trading, I don't understand all this legal money
   > business, so it could be the pissed mumblings of an idiot.

   Yes, I don't really know. I've heard that if they got so far as to
   actually put the cable in then they'll sell a connection, but mostly
   they just put the ducting in (and knackered the pavements) and then
   stopped. I certainly haven't been bombarded by leaflets, since the
   "coming soon ..." ones.

   > I think ADSL was the best we could get!

   It's the best I know of in this town, for sure. Better deal than my
   current demon TAM, I reckon ...

Suppose it depends how much you use it/ want to use it and whether you wi=
ll=20
paoss pay a little premium for permanent connection. I'd go for the premi=
um,=20
I love my computer getting E-mail all day, almost makes it pointless to u=
se=20
Instant messengers (Ok, it's quite a bit slower, but you don't have to si=
gn=20
up to MSN or alike...)