[Lancaster] Connections ...

Richard Robinson richard at beulah.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 13:30:00 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:20:30AM +0000, Martyn Welch wrote:

>    1) 50:1 contention ratio - could be slower than a modem, at worst. What's
>  this like in practice, can anybody comment ?
>
> We have ADSL via Demon - nope, not slower than a modem. Even if the speed did
> drop, it's not paid for by the minute (or holding up your phone line) so it's
> not such a problem.

That's true; and it's the permanence, and the freeing up of the voice
phone, that really attracts me, rather than super speed (though that
would be nice, too). Just wondering what to realistically expect,
really.

>    2) Are there any alternative types of connection I might also want to
>  think about ? I'm not aware of any, since the attempt at cabling us went
>  broke, but as I say, I haven't been paying a lot of attention.
>
> Someone told me that they had called in the creditors (or something), but were
> still trading, I don't understand all this legal money business, so it could
> be the pissed mumblings of an idiot.

Yes, I don't really know. I've heard that if they got so far as to
actually put the cable in then they'll sell a connection, but mostly
they just put the ducting in (and knackered the pavements) and then
stopped. I certainly haven't been bombarded by leaflets, since the
"coming soon ..." ones.

> I think ADSL was the best we could get!

It's the best I know of in this town, for sure. Better deal than my
current demon TAM, I reckon ...

--
Richard Robinson