[Lancaster] more mep letters

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 16:36:01 2003

--Boundary-00=_6hLV/IJxu911mJg

I've attached some more letters to & from meps if anyone wants to read them.
robert atkins sent me the same form letter as to martyn.
The important one is probably the one from mccarthy, as she's the one who has
been most involved in drafting this report.

andy.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which

--Boundary-00=_6hLV/IJxu911mJg

I'm pleased to hear that opposition to this proposal is at least being taken
seriously enough for the vote to have been postponed. However, you have not
answered my (implied) original question as to your and your party's views on
this matter, and how you are intending to vote.

Having looked through some of the patents that have been granted recently
under the current law, it is pretty clear to me that the existing system is
being abused to the detriment of everybody who works with computers in
europe, and I'm not convinced that the proposal offers any real guarantees
that this will not continue to happen. For example, the Amazon patent which I
mentioned in my original letter, and a patent granted to Adobe in 2002 on the
concept of using tabbed palettes in the graphical interface of their
Photoshop software. This is hardly a patentable invention, just a simple
concept which any programmer might come up with when faced with the problem
of displaying a lot of information in a small amount of screen space. There
are also more borderline cases, such as the patent on run-length encoding
which has now stopped the JPEG compressed image format from being a truly
open standard. 'Run-length encoding' might sound like quite a technical
concept, but really it's just like if you had to convey the information
'aaaaaaaabbbbcccccd' you'd write a8b4c5d1 (i.e. eight a's, four b's, five
c's, and one d.). Again, not a major technical innovation, just part of the
usual craft of programming. To my mind, the value of having open standards in
this case far outweighs the supposed intellectual property of whoever filed
this patent.

More generally, I can see that there is some limited argument for saying that
times have changed since the original patent law was created, when inventing
things was about thinking of designs for actual physical objects, and that if
someone has spent a great deal of time working on some kind of information
processing algorithm, they should have some protection against people
exploiting that invention. However, firstly it's pretty clear that many if
not most of the patents being granted at the moment do not fall into this
category. Secondly, there are genuine questions about whether the patent
system as it stands does offer any real benefit to the industries that use
it, and I'm not sure that the people who drafted the report have made any
real effort to answer these questions: I am not enough of an economist or
businessman to be able to judge this for myself, but the view of the FFII and
EUROLINUX that the directive has been drafted by a closed group of patent
lawyers and a small clique of large software companies to promote their own
agenda without any genuine outside consultation seems entirely plausible to
me. This is particularly important given that software has an entirely
different economics to physical manufactured goods, as the marginal cost of
production is almost zero, so ideas from traditional patenting should not be
extended to this field without careful and honest thought. Thirdly, even if
some limited patent protection should be given to software, there are other
things that should be balanced against against these proprietory rights, such
as the need for open standards in the exchange of computer information. For
example, if Microsoft were allowed to patent the file format used by their
'Word' program, I would have been unable to read the email attachment sent to
me by one of your colleagues in that format, as I am running a linux system.
Fourthly, given that the existing law which forbids software patenting is
currently being abused by the patent lobby, to me the political reality of
the situation is that any concession towards patenting of software will
simply strengthen this trend and reward their behaviour, so if I had to come
down on one side or the other on this issue, I would support the FFII line
that patenting should be reserved for purely technical inventions in the
traditional sense.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to reply stating your own views on this
issue, and how you are intending to vote at the end of the month.

Andrew Baxter

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which
hasn't come.
If you do need to send an attachment or html mail, put [attachment] or [html]
in the subject line.
Thanks, andy.

--Boundary-00=_6hLV/IJxu911mJg

I am no expert on this particular subject, Arlene McCarthy is and I would
normally follow the lead on such an issue.  However this has been postponed
so we can listen to all the arguments and once done, I will then make up my
mind how to vote and will bear your comments in mind and I am grateful for
these and the information you have given.

Once again then you for contacting me.

TERRY WYNN MEP
> [...]
> simply strengthen this trend and reward their behaviour, so if I had to
come
> down on one side or the other on this issue, I would support the FFII line
> that patenting should be reserved for purely technical inventions in the
> traditional sense.
>
> Perhaps you would be kind enough to reply stating your own views on this
> issue, and how you are intending to vote at the end of the month.
>
> Andrew Baxter
>
> On Thursday 28 August 2003 9:19 am, you wrote:
> > The Arlene McCarthy report has been taken off next weeks agenda and will
be
> > voted on at the endof September.  The reason is to find a compromise
with
> > those who oppose it.  There is a lot of opposition to it and Arlene
> > McCarthy is trying to make sure it is acceptable to the majority of

Dear Andrew Baxter,

Thank you for your correspondence concerning the draft directive on the patentability of computer-implemented inventions.

The European Parliament's Legal Affairs Committee has voted on my report on the directive and there will be continuing debate and further democratic scrutiny before the directive becomes law.

At this early stage of legislative process, it is nonetheless important to establish the facts about what the draft EU directive and what I, as the Parliament's rapporteur, are aiming to achieve in the amendments tabled to the Commission proposal.

It has been suggested that the Parliament's report will for the first time allow the patentability of computer-implemented inventions. This is simply not true. The patenting of computer-implemented inventions is not a new phenomenon. Patents involving the use of software have been applied for and granted since the earliest days of the European Patent Office (EPO). Out of over 110,000 applications received at the EPO in 2001, 16,000 will have dealt with inventions in computer-implemented technologies. Indeed, even without an EU directive, these patents will continue to be filed, not only to the EPO but also to national patent offices.

As you will be aware, in the US and increasingly in Japan, patents have been granted for what is essentially pure software. Some EPO and national court rulings indicate that Europe may be drifting towards extending the scope of patentability to inventions which would traditionally have not been patentable, as well as pure business methods. It is clear that Europe needs a uniform legal approach which draws a line between what can and cannot be patented, and prevents the drift towards the patentability of software per se.

My intention is clear in the amendments tabled and in a new Article 4 in the text, to preclude; the patentability of software as such; the patentability of business methods; algorithms; and mathematical methods. Article 4 clearly states that in order to be patentable, a computer-implemented invention must be susceptible to industrial applications, be new, and involve an inventive step. Moreover I have added a requirement for a technical contribution in order to ensure that the mere use of a computer does not lead to a patent being granted.

Furthermore, the amended directive contains new provisions on decompilation that will assist software developers. While it is not possible to comment on whether any patent application would be excluded from the directive, the directive, as amended, would not permit the patentability of Amazon's 'one-click' method. As far as software itself is concerned, it will not be possible to patent a software product. Software itself will continue to be able to be protected by copyright.

With an EU directive, legislators will have scrutiny over the EPO and national court's decisions. With, in addition, the possibility of having a definitive ruling from the European Court in Luxembourg, thus ensuring a restrictive interpretation of the EU directive and a greater degree of legal certainty in the field of patentability of computer-implemented inventions.

Some concerns have been raised that the directive may have an adverse effect on the development of open source software and small software developers. I support the development of open source software and welcome the fact that the major open-source companies are recording a 50% growth in world-wide shipment of its products.

In the amended proposal, I have imposed a requirement on the Commission to monitor the impact of the directive, in particular its effect on small and medium sized enterprises, and to look at any potential difficulties in respect of the relationship between patent protection of computer-implemented inventions and copyright protection.

Many small companies have given their support to this directive, which will give them more legal certainty as it offers the possibility of protection for their R&D investment, and so assists in spin-off creation and technology transfer and generating new funds for new investments.

Indeed recently, a small ten-person company in an economic black-spot in the UK granted a licence to a US multinational for its voice recognition software patents. Without European patent protection in this field, the small company could have found itself in the perverse situation whereby its R&D efforts and investment would simply have been taken by a large multinational company, who, with its team of patent lawyers, would have filed a patent on this invention. The EU company could have been faced subsequently with patent infringement proceedings.

Some lobbyists would like us to believe that having no patents is an option - it is not. No patents would put EU software developers at a severe disadvantage in the global market place, and would hand over the monopoly on patents to multinational companies.

The work I have done is an honest attempt to approach this matter objectively, and to produce balanced legislation, taking into account the needs and interests of all sectors of the software development industry and small businesses in Europe. No doubt there will be more debate and refinements to the legislation before a final text is agreed under the EU legislation process.

At a time when many of our traditional industries are migrating to Asia and when Europe needs increasingly to rely on its inventiveness to reap rewards, it is important to have the option of the revenue secured by patents and the licensing out of computer-implemented technologies.

Software development is a major European industry. In 1998 alone the value of the EU software market was €39 billion. Most of this will be protected by copyright, but genuine computer-implemented inventions must have the possibility, for the future of competitiveness of our industry, to have patent protection.

Yours sincerely

Arlene McCarthy MEP

--Boundary-00=_6hLV/IJxu911mJg--