[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Aug 5 16:38:01 BST 2004

Martyn (and other inrested parties),

I went down to the Folly this am and succeeded in setting up one of the
PII boxes with SCSI card and installed the SCSI scanner.

I initially had a problem, because the PII box that we played with last
Wednesday meet appeared to be dead. I mean stone dead! Didn't have time
to explore so swapped SCSI card into other PII and proceeded. Dead box
is marked as so on label at back.

The SCSI card and Agfa SnapScan 310 were both recognised. I installed
'sane', but nothing else so couldn't test fully. I'll leave that to
Martyn (?) to set this up to best integrate with the network.

The ISA SCSI card is labeled as AHA 1505, but no module exists
corresponding with this name. However module 'aha152x' loaded OK with
io=0x140 and irq=9. I set this in /etc/init.d/boot.local. I took the
easy way for the scanner. YAST found it and installed it with no problems.

I left a set of boot/module floppies and CDs for installation of SuSE
v8.1 Personal which is already installed on the Tiny boxes and on the
PII boxes.

I saw the mobo that Martyn has left for installation in the dead Tiny
box. Didn't do anything about this as time was pressing.

I did note that this mobo is claimed to be a 'PC Chips' board. I have a
mobo that is clearly made by the same manufacturer, but is labelled
'Elpina'. I couldn't find any info/manual under that name so will look
under 'PC Chips'.

Last point! I had a play with one of the terminals and clicked on the
'About Linux' icon. The Document that appeared contains a number of
typos/errors. Not a good first impression of Linux! Can we change this
for a more punchy, accurate and informative document?