[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Martyn Welch martyn at 22balmoralroad.net
Thu Aug 5 20:10:51 BST 2004

- ----- Original Message ----------
On Thursday 05 August 2004 16:42, Ken Hough wrote:

> Martyn (and other inrested parties),

As always :)

> I went down to the Folly this am and succeeded in setting up one of the
> PII boxes with SCSI card and installed the SCSI scanner.
>
> I initially had a problem, because the PII box that we played with last
> Wednesday meet appeared to be dead. I mean stone dead! Didn't have time
> to explore so swapped SCSI card into other PII and proceeded. Dead box
> is marked as so on label at back.

Did you heck the little switch on the back of the PSU? (I know, I know but had
to ask.)

> The SCSI card and Agfa SnapScan 310 were both recognised. I installed
> 'sane', but nothing else so couldn't test fully. I'll leave that to
> Martyn (?) to set this up to best integrate with the network.

I'll see what I can do.

> The ISA SCSI card is labeled as AHA 1505, but no module exists
> corresponding with this name. However module 'aha152x' loaded OK with
> io=0x140 and irq=9. I set this in /etc/init.d/boot.local. I took the
> easy way for the scanner. YAST found it and installed it with no problems.

Yup, that's the right one. It's probably best to use /etc/modules to load it.

> I left a set of boot/module floppies and CDs for installation of SuSE
> v8.1 Personal which is already installed on the Tiny boxes and on the
> PII boxes.

Cool.

> I saw the mobo that Martyn has left for installation in the dead Tiny
> box. Didn't do anything about this as time was pressing.

Might be best to leave that one for a rainy day. The chipset is a real pain.

> I did note that this mobo is claimed to be a 'PC Chips' board. I have a
> mobo that is clearly made by the same manufacturer, but is labelled
> 'Elpina'. I couldn't find any info/manual under that name so will look
> under 'PC Chips'.

PC Chips are cheap, however they also can be a pig to get working properly
under linux.

> Last point! I had a play with one of the terminals and clicked on the
> 'About Linux' icon. The Document that appeared contains a number of
> typos/errors. Not a good first impression of Linux! Can we change this
> for a more punchy, accurate and informative document?

I think we should think about turning it into a web-page...

Martyn