[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Aug 6 16:24:42 BST 2004

Martyn Welch wrote:
> [...]

A good point easily overlooked, but yes I did. Also checked mains cable.

>>The SCSI card and Agfa SnapScan 310 were both recognised. I installed
>>'sane', but nothing else so couldn't test fully. I'll leave that to
>>Martyn (?) to set this up to best integrate with the network.
>>

> I'll see what I can do.

Good luck! I'll be interested to follow what you do for my own benefit.

>>The ISA SCSI card is labeled as AHA 1505,

Correction: Labeled AVA 1505. I hadn't come across that before.

>>but no module exists
>>corresponding with this name. However module 'aha152x' loaded OK with
>>io=0x140 and irq=9. I set this in /etc/init.d/boot.local. I took the
>>easy way for the scanner. YAST found it and installed it with no problems.
>>

> Yup, that's the right one. It's probably best to use /etc/modules to load it.

/etc/modules.conf is the official way, but I still have dificulty
sorting out my aliases from my options. Adding a line like 'modprobe
.....' to /etc/init.d/boot.local is much easier and quicker for some
operations.

>>I left a set of boot/module floppies and CDs for installation of SuSE
>>v8.1 Personal which is already installed on the Tiny boxes and on the
>>PII boxes.
>>

> Cool.
>

>>I saw the mobo that Martyn has left for installation in the dead Tiny
>>box. Didn't do anything about this as time was pressing.
>>

> Might be best to leave that one for a rainy day. The chipset is a real pain.
>

>>I did note that this mobo is claimed to be a 'PC Chips' board. I have a
>>mobo that is clearly made by the same manufacturer, but is labelled
>>'Elpina'. I couldn't find any info/manual under that name so will look
>>under 'PC Chips'.
>>

> PC Chips are cheap, however they also can be a pig to get working properly
> under linux.

I've had a look at the PC Chips site, but they don't have any info'
about my old board (code <BA> E-VO 9808). Yours is much later, but the
code still includes <BA> E-VO 98..........

>>Last point! I had a play with one of the terminals and clicked on the
>>'About Linux' icon. The Document that appeared contains a number of
>>typos/errors. Not a good first impression of Linux! Can we change this
>>for a more punchy, accurate and informative document?
>>

> I think we should think about turning it into a web-page...

Maybe, provided that the front page remains simple and well written. I
feel that for a first impression, presentation is important.