[Lancaster] t21 with suse 9.1 question

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Wed Aug 18 22:17:28 BST 2004

Christoph Lehmann wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> I also have a t21 with 9.1 suse running. what I would like to ask you:
> does standby work correctly for you (eg. when you close the lid). i have
> apm (acpi = off), but standby doesn't work.
>
> please, could you tell me, how you got it to work?
>
> many thanks and best regards from switzerland
>
> christoph

Hi Christoph,

It seems that the Lancaster LUG has now gone international. Good to hear
from you. It's good also to hear from another SuSE user. Most of the
group seem to use Debian or possibly Mandrake. I'm gradually coming to
understand Debian, but for me, SuSE is much more fun. Maybe YAST is too
much of a cultural step for them (chuckle -- that should get some reaction).

The answer to your question is that I don't know at the moment. I always
shut down before closing the lid. I will check it out.

I'm running ACPI as this is more modern then APM and provides more
information. ACPI seems to work well on the Thinkpad T21. I use 'akpi'
(in package 'pmtools' as far as I can remember) to access the ACPI
information. This gives info' about battery state, power consumption,
CPU temperature and quite a lot more.

I have tried APM which did work, but is limited compared with ACPI. I
did note that when running APM, 'xosview' showed an additional line
relating to battery capacity which is not present when running ACPI.

I obtained my T21 second hand and initially had probelms with both APM
and ACPI. This was caused by an old/faulty battery. A replacement
immediately solved all problems.

The T21 is a good laptop. I guess that like me, you managed to get both
the network card and (Lucent) modem configured easily under SuSE. I've
also got my USB2 flatbed scanner working 100%. It's a shame about the
quality of the sound system, but that's a hardware limitation.

Will try to get back to you when I've checked if closing the lid causes
the PC to enter standby mode.

Regards