[Lancaster] Postcodes

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Aug 20 16:36:04 BST 2004

Tony Ayre wrote:
> Ken Hough wrote:
>
> | Re: PCs for Nigeria
> |
> | Having worked in Nigeria, I strongly recommend that the PCs be made as
> | tamper proof and as climate proof as possible. My experience is that if
> | it possibly can go wrong , it will!
> |
> | Also, unless things have improved since my time there, a UPS is a must
> | for anything at all critical. Most establishments had standby generators
> | which kicked in in the event of one of the very frequent power cuts. But
> | the delay of a few seconds to a minute or so will throw out any
> | unprotected PC.
> |
> | If the location is anywhere near Lagos, effects due to the humidity have
> | to be experienced to be believed.
> |
> | Ken Hough
> |
> | Tony Ayre wrote:

> |> |
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |
> |> Hi All,
> |>
> |> If the kitchen doesn't need them, they would be useful for servers for
> |> the 30 or so computers I am currently holding/testing to send to
> |> Nigeria. They would be good to have as x servers.
> |>
> |> Cheers
> |> Tony Ayre

> Hi Ken,
>
> Cheers for the advice, we are making x-terminals for the clients out of
> P166 IBM machines (so far) and are removing all the moving parts (bar
> fans for cooling). So Hard Disks, FDD's, CD's etc won't be a problem.
> How could we make the servers more climate proof?
>
> Cheers
> Tony

I guess that depends what part of Nigeria that you are dealing with. I
understand that the Northern parts are effecively semi-desert, so dust
is likely to be a problem.

If you are concerned with the coastal/low level areas, then humidity is
always a worry with electrical/electronic gear. I remember having a
calculator that appeared to die. It recovered after some a few days in
an air conditioned flat. During the rainy season humidity is mostly near
100% and with fairly high temeratures, condensation and possibly
corrosion can be problems. Around the Lagos area, elecrical control
panels and other vulnerable equipment are ruitinely fitted with
anti-condensation heaters.

I've already refered to the frequent power cuts and doubt that this will
have improved much. We used to joke about the "Nigerian Power and
Darkness Company". UPSs are vital for critical servers.

Insects and even slightly bigger creatures (eg gekos) are often a
nuisance. Mosquitos (including the malaria bearing ones) and other
flying beasties abound and get everywhere.

It might be sensible in both both types of environment to protect entry
points on PC boxes with appropriate gauzes. If you know that the PCs are
to be used in air conditioned/clean environments then maybe this is not
required, nor should you need anticondensation heaters.

I would ask very searching questions about the likely deployment of the PCs.

I've worked in a number of African countries. Nigeria was the most
challenging, partly due to climate and partly due to the incredible
ability of the local population to screw things up. As I've already
stated, if it can go wrong, it will!

Good luck