[Lancaster] Postcodes

Tony Ayre tony at localz-host.com
Thu Aug 19 11:41:50 BST 2004

Ken Hough wrote:

| Re: PCs for Nigeria
|
| Having worked in Nigeria, I strongly recommend that the PCs be made as
| tamper proof and as climate proof as possible. My experience is that if
| it possibly can go wrong , it will!
|
| Also, unless things have improved since my time there, a UPS is a must
| for anything at all critical. Most establishments had standby generators
| which kicked in in the event of one of the very frequent power cuts. But
| the delay of a few seconds to a minute or so will throw out any
| unprotected PC.
|
| If the location is anywhere near Lagos, effects due to the humidity have
| to be experienced to be believed.
|
| Ken Hough
|
| Tony Ayre wrote:
|
|> Mike Dent wrote:
|>
|> | Hi guys,
|> | Are you still in need of any PC's for your workshop area?
|> | We are currently upgrading some 60+ PC's at work, the ones
|> | we are taking out are P3 650Mhz or P3 700Mhz. They have 10gb disks,
|> | ethernet, audio, floppy and CDROM.
|> |
|> | I could probably rustle 3 together, there are no monitors though.
|> |
|> | Let me know if you are interested.
|> |
|> | Mike
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> Hi All,
|>
|> If the kitchen doesn't need them, they would be useful for servers for
|> the 30 or so computers I am currently holding/testing to send to
|> Nigeria. They would be good to have as x servers.
|>
|> Cheers
|> Tony Ayre

Hi Ken,

Cheers for the advice, we are making x-terminals for the clients out of
P166 IBM machines (so far) and are removing all the moving parts (bar
fans for cooling). So Hard Disks, FDD's, CD's etc won't be a problem.
How could we make the servers more climate proof?

Cheers
Tony