[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Thu Jul 15 18:56:13 BST 2004

Martyn Welch wrote:
> [...]

I figured that this would need sorting out. Keep on thinking.

Alternatively, the 'burning' machine could be used directly and be
dedicated to this service only. ie no office apps, etc. Maybe not even
'X'. Could do this via command line or text based (eg 'C') program or
script which makes use of command line programs such as 'cdrecord'. This
approach would discourage use for other purposes. For now, ISOs could be
held locally, so networking is not necessary.

>>I suggest that we use one of the two available PII boxes, but with some
>>extra RAM.
>>

> This I guess would be required if it was to be used as a normal desktop
> machine, with GUI et all.
>

>>In the interests of simplicity, I suggest that this be set up with SuSE
>>v9.1 or a similar recent distro, so as to have access to the likes of
>>K3b and auto setup of CD writer (avoiding the need to set up scsi
>>emulation).
>>

> Which I suppose is the way to go for now...
>
> Have a look at KDE Kiosk, it's less an app than a framework built into KDE. We
> really need to look at this for the server as well as here. It allows
> restrictions to be placed on the users account with varying degrees of
> granularity.

I'll do some homework on this one.