[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Fri Jul 16 17:08:29 BST 2004

A few more thoughts re a CD burning setup.

I'm warming to the idea of setting up a dedicated CD burning box with
minimum software to allow local use of 'cdrecord' via some sort of non X UI.
In this way we could have control over the burning parameters and hence
in theory get better results. Maybe the likes of K3b would allow too
much for users to play with.

A library of ISOs could be kept on the local hard drive and the user
could log in as say 'cdburner'. root access (or other admin account)
could allow network access to download/manage ISOs.

The UI could be a 'C'/ncurses program. I have used ncurses and would be
happy to have a go at this. An advantage of this approach is that I
could develop the program on a test setup at home.

Any other thoughts?