[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Tue Jul 20 21:34:46 BST 2004

Martyn Welch wrote:
> [...]

Well I'm an old DOSser (since about v2.0). Provided that the user sees
clear/concise directions on screen, I'm not sure that senses will be
unduly upset.

This machine will be a single application, utility box and such
directions would be more easily assimilated than a conventional fancy,
over decorated window app. Still, I'm not getting hung up either way.

>> >If the device is going to have a screen, we may as well use something like
>> >GTK.
>>
>>ie we use X
>>I was working on the idea that avoiding X would make it easier to 'lock'
>>the machine into the CD burning programme.
>>How do you think we should go?
>>

> Single application, fullscreened in an X session, no other user interface.
> This could be automactically loaded by inittab. Yes this would mean it is
> running as root, however there won't be any other applications
> reachable/loadable.
>
> Try:
>
> X -ac :1 & xclock -display :1
>
> This will start an X session on a second display (disabling access control so
> that I can load an app from the current terminal) thn load the X clock into
> it. Now, there's not a lot you can do in that session other than look at the
> time and close the session (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). This run from inittab
> (obviously minus disabling access control) would allow us to run a specially
> taylored app, fullscreened with little threat of fiddling...

I did, as a normal user and it works. I also set this line in the
.profile file in a normal user account. It still does the trick!

However, one thing missing. To set up a second display on for example
vt8, the complete line should be:

X -ac :1 vt8 & xclock -display :1

I've tried replacing xclock with kwrite and even k3b! They both work,
but there's no obvious way of resizing the window to full screen. Any
suggestions?

Having (almost) cracked this, how should we develop our CD burning app?
I've used Borland C++ Builder under MS Windows, but haven't yet got
around to window programming under Linux. I intend to get into
Kdevelop/QT soon.