[Lancaster] Re: the kitchen network.

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 22:12:00 BST 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 21:21, Ken Hough wrote:
> Andy Baxter wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 July 2004 22:08, Ken Hough wrote:
> >>Martyn Welch wrote:
> >>

> >>Having (almost) cracked this, how should we develop our CD burning app?
> >>I've used Borland C++ Builder under MS Windows, but haven't yet got
> >>around to window programming under Linux. I intend to get into
> >>Kdevelop/QT soon.
> >
> > why not do it using cgi, to give a web interface? most people are
> > familiar with this, it's easy enough to write, and perl is a good
> > language for scripting command line tools like cdrecord.
> >
> > also, the interface could then be made available on other machines - you
> > could just copy an iso to the right directory on the shared fileserver,
> > put a disk in the burner machine, then open the web page, choose which
> > iso to burn, press a button and it would start cdrecord. The output could
> > be shown by making part of the page a subframe with a 5 second page
> > refresh on it.
>
> Let's keep it simple to start with. I'm still in favour of a standalone
> box to start. Users will have to go across to the burner box anyway, if
> only to load/unload a CD. I go along with Martyns idea of an X screen
> running just a basic app. Networking to be available only to root/admin
> to manage an ISO library. We can consider bolting on extras later after
> we get the project off the ground.

I still think that just having a preloaded selection of isos will be too
restrictive - good for spreading copies of $linux, but not much else. But
like you say, the main thing is to get something working.

> I feel that a browser gives too many options.

I think you're all too paranoid about what the users will do with it. (says
the master of paranoia himself). I would have thought that as long as we take
basic precautions, things should be ok. might get a few teen-hackers messing
about, but it's not like we're trying to protect the crown jewels - as long
as there's some easy way to restore the system, no real harm can be done.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which