[Lancaster] Re: Suse 9.1

Ken Hough kenhough at uklinux.net
Mon Jul 26 11:10:50 BST 2004

Tim Churchill wrote:
> Many thanks for the copy. I installed it on a 933 P3 machine and
> upped the memory to 256Mb as it was sluggish at 128Mb.

I reckon 256MB is the minimum practical RAM for multimedia work. My
boxes have 512MB and the laptop has 384MB.

> As you say, it is very user friendly, and Yast upgraded everything
> automatically.
>
> I haven't had a lot of spare time, but briefly tried Broadcast 2000
> which enabled me to open and play a wave file, but most of the
> buttons when clicked on caused the program to close instantly.
> Audacity is more successful, and I have had a quick look at Glame.
> Pity there are no Man pages by default.

I've not had any problems with Broadcast2000, despite having used it on
at least three PCs and via a few experimental installations. Reviews
usually place Audacity ahead of Broadcast2000 as the later is somewhat
older.

> Arklinux has started working correctly with the burner on the other
> Linux box, but Sodipodi and Gimp are now faulty! Such are the joys of
> Alpha products.

That's why I go for an esablished complete distro, but then I'm lazy
that way.